Saturday, July 15, 2006

Well now that I have a little time and have had some sleep I thought I'd write a little more. This has been a crazy week. We knew that Suzanne would be induced on Friday, but we didn't think she would make it that long. She suprised us all! Earlier in the week, I got a call from family that my granddad had had a heard attack and had to be airlifted from Post to Lubbock. They put a stint in and we thought we was doing okay and would be out of the hospital by thursday. About midnight wednesday night, they had to do emergency surgery and put another stint in. He is doing much better now, physically. However, psychologically, he has been having pretty bad episodes. I have not been a witness to the anger, but have heard lots of stories. Wednesday night it took 5 nurses and one doctor to restrain him. And that's the really sad part, they usually have to keep him restrained in the bed all the time, so he won't hurt himself. Yesterday for a while he wasn't restrained, and he pulled out his catheter. He should be there through Monday, and then he will be checked into the nursing home in Post. My grandmother is handling all this really well. Fortunately, she only lives one block from the nursing home, and she loves to visit over there. So she'll probably enjoy getting to spend so much time over there. I don't know how he is going to handle it. I'm not sure that he understands what is happening. I got to spend an hour or so alone with him the other day. They took the restraints off of him since I was going to be there, and he was just being so sweet, and like the granddad I remember. The hard part is that I just don't think I have emotionally prepared for this. We all know there comes a time in our lives when others do get old and detiorate physically and mentally, but it all seems to have happened so fast. I really hope that my grandmother does do okay with him being gone. I can't imagine them sleeping apart. You know those couples who are attached at the hip, that's my grandparents. My granddad is the man who always makes the deviled eggs for potlucks. The one who never misses church. He is also the one who says the "church of christ prayer", guide guard and direct, next appointed time, etc. :) You probably know someone just like him...or have a granddad like that. I love him dearly...

But what better thing to have happen to make everyone smile than a new baby!!! Suzanne...man oh man. How is it that people can come from the same two parents and be soooo different??? We laugh when people say we're just alike, b/c that is the farthest thing from the truth. Of course you all know how sweet I am, so I don't want you to think that I'm speaking ill of my sister, but she is just so outspoken. And well I'll just put it this way, we have been ready for all those "pregnancy hormones" to leave her body, so that maybe she'll be a little less grouchy. Yesterday, when everything was done, she seemed to be in great spirits. She was getting ready for them to clean him up, b/c she had all the clothes she wanted to put on him. None of which included anything from the hospital. (receiving blankets, beanie) She brought her own and he would not be wearing the "ugly" hospital ones. I am happy for her though, for those of you who don't know her baby that she had this time 2 years ago was stillborn. She was 6 months pregnant, and she (the baby) had a disorder that eventually took her life. However, with all the legal stuff of how old a fetus is, she still had to deliever her knowing she had already died. Wasn't exactly a fun time for anyone, and she has been an emotionally trooper. I don't think I could have made it through such a hard time, so I have to give her a little slack, b/c this baby is hers and Colt and they've worked really hard to get him here safe and healthy. Anyways....please keep my family in our prayers, and my granddad. I will post more pics when we go back to the hospital. Have a great weekend!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Wow...you have had a crazy week. I'm sorry to hear about your grandad. It would be really hard to see mine that way.

Congratulations on the new nephew! He is precious. I didn't know that about Suzanne. I know the emotions she is experiencing now must be incredible. I agree with you...I don't know what I would have done in her situation.

I also think it's hilarious that she brought all her own caps and blankets. That didn't even cross my mind when I had Will :)

11:43 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Chrissy Cross said...

We will keep your grandparents in our prayers. It is definitely hard to see your loved ones physically deteriorate. The baby looks precious, does he look like Colt or Suzanne?? Enjoy the nephew!!!

12:19 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I am sorry to hear about your grandad. Is he doing better? Seeing a loved one in the hospital is very hard.

Congratulations on your nephew!! I am glad they are doing well. What's his name?

Your kids are getting so big! Sorry I missed you when we were in town for a couple of hours.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home