Sunday, September 14, 2008

Settled

By nature we are all control freaks. Even those of us who aren't very controlling. I would consider myself to be one one of those. I'm okay with a lot of things, and as long as I don't find myself being threatened in some way, I'm pretty good. However, there are certain thing that we want to go our way...we are selfish creatures. There is a sense of entitlement that things should go a certain way, and vice versa.

It's easy for me to spend a lot of time wondering why my kids had to be so young and how it would be so much easier if they were older. If I just had "this" or "that", things would be easier and better. It's easy to get caught up in that mode of thinking.

Over the last month I've become settled with a lot of different things. I am learning to say, "I don't know" about a lot of things. I am learning that I don't know why my kids are so small, but there is a reason. I have learned not to search for that reason, but be settled in the fact that God knows and that's all that matters.

I have become very settled with the things I don't have and knowing that God provides and always has. I have become very settled in knowing that even on those "boring" days of diaper changing and house cleaning, God is working. I have also become settled on those days when I'm able to get out and have a good time, that God is working then too. There is always purpose.

I've been able to let go of a lot, and let God be God.

I have also become settled in the battle I may have before me. That's not to say I don't have some apprehension about some things, but I also have amazing peace. God is in the middle of it all, and I am blessed beyond belief by wonderful, amazing, supportive, loving, generous friends and family who through so many loving gestures, smiles, and kind words have shown me Christ..."religion" in it's purest form.

Settled...it's a good place to be.

7 Comments:

Blogger Preston Belt, From just south of beautiful downtown Hydro, Oklahoma said...

Just wanted to comment on a few things. Be thankful for little kids. Kids, especially little ones, have a way of "grounding" us. They can't take care of themselves (I have a 25 year old that is just now beginning to learn how to take care of himself! LOL!) AND, in their needs, we learn a lot about ourselves. You have an advantage that I don't have, daily influence on them. My little girls are growing up! Just wait till the day comes when they start jr. high and they don't want you to walk them into the school anymore! (tears) God does know all. And I struggle daily with his will for me. Always reach for Him, and His will always appears. Have a good week!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Chrissy Cross said...

Wow! I needed to hear that. I am always thinking about how my life would be better if I had done this or that or had this or that. What a waste of time. You remind me of the verse, "I have learned to be content in whatever....." Thanks for the inspiration, my friend.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Being settled can be quite peaceful. I know that what ever point we are at in our lives we all long for the next step. I can relate! I can't wait until Tim is done with school. At the same time I try to remain in the present and am thankful for whatever lies before me.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being settled is something I really struggle with and I'm more the type that likes to control everything I can. I think I really needed to read what you said here because it sort of gave me a little nudge saying that I don't have to know everything or plan everything for it to all be okay. God does that. I just seem to forget that sometimes. I don't pretend to know the answers to the questions that you have, but it's just a thought that maybe things happened when they happened because your kids were so young and therefore resiliant (sp?). I just kept coming back to the way Ally handled (and is still handling) Adam's mom's death at 4 years old. She understood that Pam was too sick for the doctor's to help her and that she died and went to heaven to be with Jesus. She took it for what it was and made it a simple concept. She still talks about it, and even says that she misses "Pamma", but she accepts it and doesn't try to make sense of it. I guess kids are sort of naturally settled in a way.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Cheri said...

There's a quote that I absolutely love and it has become something I try very honestly to live by, "Under God moves you, bloom where you are planted." I love that. We may not LIKE the situation we are in, and we should make smart moves to help ourselves, but until God moves us onto something else, we are to bloom and flourish right where we're at. So glad that you've come to a peace about it right now.

5:07 PM  
Blogger SS said...

Sometimes I'm a little too settled...like settled on my couch with a remote in my hand, or settled in my bed when I should be cleaning house. I'm glad that you're feeling settled in the ways that are actually important.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Will's mom said...

I am so glad that you found me. I just read this post and I think that I have alot to learn from you! What a breath of fresh air to read this!

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home