Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Church

We've had a pretty quiet week. It's been nice. Saturday Madi and I drove to Amarillo to meet Neva. She took us to see "Disney's Princesses on Ice" and then to eat dinner. It was nice just to get out of town. Madi and I don't get a lot of "girl time" by ourselves, so we enjoyed it.

I have bunco tomorrow night. I was supposed to host it this month, but I switched to the spring. Hopefully we'll be a little more settled by then, and it won't be quite so stressful on me to plan then. I am really looking forward to meeting with my group again. I haven't gotten to see them all as a group since May. I see lots of them at church on Sunday, but we haven't had a real chance to sit down and just be girls together. I love this group so much!!!

Sunday at church I was sitting there thinking about how it was 2 years ago that we started going to Monterey. We had been in Slaton for 4 years, and Madi was pre-school age, and we had agreed that when she got old enough we would start going to church in Lubbock. We wanted to find a church that the kids could grow up in, and that we could put some roots down as a family. I was a little reluctant, because I had listened to my dad preach for pretty much my whole life. It was going to be a little wierd, but I knew this was best for our family. So I was excited. Nathan wanted to go to Sunset, and that was the one place I said I wouldn't go. Not because of the church, but because that is where Nathan grew up. I thought that pretty much defeated the purpose of us finding a place for our family. There are so many people who have been so wonderful to me at Sunset. I could sit here and list them all and tell you why, but I'm not going to do that now. I will just say, that there are many people that are dear to my heart there.

John and Sheila went to Monterey, so I wanted to go there. Oddly, that was one church I never visited in college. I don't know...we just never did. Monterey had just built their new building, and so it seemed kind of neat that we were looking for a new church home, it was a new building, and it also helps that it was right by our house. From the moment I stepped in there, I just felt so at home. I never wanted to go anywhere else. So we didn't. That is where we landed.

Nathan didn't get involved like he said he would. It was at that point that he started dragging his heels on just about everything that had to do with church. I was lucky I got him to go. Which really made me mad, because I agreed to move, because he agreed that we would get involved. I kind of accepted the role of spiritual leader. He wasn't making any moves to do it, and I felt that somebody had to. I believe that having your kids at church is so important!!! It was just odd that I found myself in the position that I did. I grew up being at church every single time the doors were open. I guess I kind of had to, my dad was the preacher. But even if he hadn't been, that was where I wanted to be. Growing up, I had seen many women who were married with children that brought their kids to church and the dad wasn't there, for whatever reason. I didn't like that I was that woman, but I just kept praying. I prayed and prayed and prayed, that someday he would be the spiritual leader of our home that he should have been.

Well you all know the rest of the story...and here we are. But I still love being a part of Monterey. Over the last two years I haven't been able to get involved as much as I've wanted to. I have a great desire to help serve in many ways. Right now I know my service is in a different way. I can't really get out there and get my hands dirty, but I can help be an example to others. I can encourage and love others.

There have been so many people at Monterey who have been an encouragement to me. They have all been so loving, and just taken me in. I have them as a church family, but then I also have all of my church family in Slaton that still love me too. It's the best of both worlds!

In November, my mom and I are going to Ruidoso with the ladies from the church in Slaton for the weekend. No, we don't go to Ruidoso to hit the slot machines. I mean I guess if you wanted to that would be fine, but it's more for shopping and eating. I can't wait. That is the perfect time of year to go, because it's not freezing yet, but it's still sooo nice. I'm really looking forward to it. Neva is going to keep the kids for me that weekend.

Anyways, well I kind of got off on a tangent there. That's just really been on my mind a lot lately. It's funny how you don't think about those things happening at the time, but there was reason for that timing. God is always at work!!! I look forward to seeing what else He is working on.

Have a great week!

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Ruidoso is a beautiful place.
Susan

1:02 PM  
Blogger Jacinda said...

I love Ruidoso. My in-laws live in Capitan which is about 20 minutes from there. Every time we go there we have to go to Ruidoso to be tourists!

3:58 PM  
Blogger kdwhorses said...

Found your blog via Penless Writer. Girl, keep up the great work. You are setting a great example for many others. Our faith is very important and something I want my child to have a strong foundation in. We are very involved at our church and we are blessed with a great church family. We are neighbors! We live in Troup, Texas which is about 30 minutes from Tyler. I will be checking back in on you. I love blogging and love visiting my blogging buddies! Have a great and blessed day!!

5:14 PM  
Blogger Lisa Renee said...

Trent always wanted to visit there and the Wootens tried to sway us but at the time Greenlawn just felt like the only stable thing in our lives and now its more home than I ever dreamed. I feel that same way about our 'family' and am SO glad that you do too! I am going through a sadness in not bein as involved as I once was b/c of my situation. I hardly ever see friends and its so on the go for Wed. nights and Sun. mornings trying to get kids by myself and all! Just being there is an encouragement though-I feel ya on that! Can I seriously come go wild with you one night?! Have fun in Ruidoso.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home